Translate

Monday, August 15, 2016

Notes from the road, August 15, 2016

Driven by History has a problem. Or to be more accurate, I have a problem. I visit a lot more places every week than I can blog about. So in addition to my weekly postings about several of the places that I have visited recently, I will also write a review to catch you up on where I’ve been and what I’ve done over the last week or so. Eventually, all these places will have their own history. In the meantime, here’s a short review.

At the end of July, I left New Mexico and drove east along Route 66. I already wrote about Washita Battlefield NHS and Route 66. I stopped off at the Oklahoma City Bombing site where 168 people lost their lives in this act of domestic terrorism on April 19, 1995. The NPS has a presence there at the reflecting pool with its stark monument of 168 chairs, one for each of the victims including nineteen small chairs for the children who were at the day care center. I talked with a NPS ranger who admitted that this is hard duty, interpreting the horror and death of the mass bombing that destroyed so much—so many lives, so much property, so many people’s belief in an innocence that was obliterated by this tragic event.
The empty chairs and reflecting pool at the Oklahoma City Bombing Site
From a conversation at Washita with Ranger Richard Zahm, I altered my route and went to Pea Ridge Battlefield National Military Park in northwest Arkansas. Called the Gettysburg of the West, 16,000 men fought here in 1863 as the south tried to invade Missouri and secure it for the Confederacy. Ranger Ashleigh called this a “pinkie-toe” park in that it was out of the way and didn’t attract the visitation of the big parks. As with many places that witnessed intense violence on a massive scale, Pea Ridge is now peaceful, while the visitors’ center and the panels on the driving tour evoke the chaos of battle.
As I drove east, I kept crossing the Trail of Tears where thousands of Native Americans trudged west to Indian Territory in the 1830s as they were forced from their ancestral lands in the Southeast. More about this story when I get North Carolina.
Above, a marker for the Trail of Tears at Pea Ridge Battlefield. Below, my rig overlooking one of the fields of battle at Pea Ridge. (Photos by Hunner)


After Pea Ridge, I jumped back on Route 66 at Joplin and headed to St. Louis and the Jefferson Expansion National Memorial. The iconic arch beckoned from afar as I drove into town but once I arrived under the shining symbol of westward expansion, I was disappointed that the museum was undergoing a renovation. I did spend time at the Old Courthouse where slaves Dred and Harriet Scott sued for their freedom in 1854 because they had traveled with their owner to several free states.
Above, a sculpture of Dred and Harriet Scott in front of the Old Courthouse in St. Louis. Below, the construction of a new visitors' center under the Arch. (Photos by Hunner) 


Ultimately, the U.S. Supreme Court sided with slavery, denied the Scotts’ their freedom, and fueled the growing controversy that led to the Civil War. I also watched a documentary about the building of the Arch in the 1960s. As this engineering marvel rose above the Mississippi River, I marveled at the construction workers perched 600 feet above the ground without any safety ropes or harnesses, casually smoking cigarettes as they spun the multi-ton sections into place. No one died on the job.
Tour Guide Gary talking about Monk's Mound behind him (Photo by Hunner)
Just east of St. Louis are the Cahokia Mounds, the biggest pre-contact earthen structures in the Americas, made a thousand years ago by Native Americans. This massive municipal project illustrates the complex civilization that supported between 10,000 to 20,000 people, a population that was greater than London at the time. As I climbed the 100 foot tall Monk’s Mound in the early evening, I met a couple from Chicago who recommended that I return the next morning to go through the impressive museum run by the Illinois State Parks. I am glad I did since I saw artifacts from excavations, 
explanations of life at Cahokia, and then took a tour of the mounds with volunteer Gary. A retired IT guy, Gary became absorbed by researching the Cahokia culture. Now he leads tours of the mounds.
Lewis and Clark's keelboat at the Lewis and Clark State Park north of St. Louis (Photo by Hunner)

Another interesting Illinois State park just up the road from Cahokia is the Lewis and Clark Center. The winter before the Corps of Discovery left on their journey to the Pacific Ocean in 1804, they stayed at Camp Dubois near the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Like at Cahokia, this state park’s museum ably told the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition across the continent, including a full scale replica of the keelboat they took up Missouri River.
National Road Marker along Route 40 (Photo by Hunner)
At St. Louis, Route 66 veered north while I went east on another historic road, Route 40—the National Road through Illinois and Indiana to Indianapolis. I teach living history at New Mexico State University and so am attracted to NPS sites and museums that offer this kind of interaction with visitors. North of Indianapolis lies Conner Prairie, the oldest living history park in the country, a place I have wanted to visit for decades. Dr. Catherine Hughes, their chief of interpretation, gave me a tour, and then I spent the rest of the day at Conner Prairie time traveling through Indiana in the 19th century.
A family enjoying Conner Prairie (Photo by Hunner)
I continued along the remnants of the National Road to Dayton, where I visited the Wright Brothers bicycle shop and visitor’s center and then Huffman Prairie Field, the world’s first airport. There Wilbur and Orville figured out how to maneuver and control their flying machines at Huffman Field. On the day I stopped by, the NPS had a replica of one of the Wrights’ early planes on display.
Effigy pipe excavated from the burial mounds at Hopewell Culture NHP (Photo by Hunner)
After this dose of early 20th century aviation history, I ducked down into southern Ohio to Hopewell Culture NHP to explore more pre-contact mounds. One thousand earlier than Cahokia, the mounds at the five sites of Hopewell are more intimate and just as mysterious. The main museum for Hopewell showcases many of the artifacts found in the mounds, including hammered copper figures, effigy pipes, and a silhouette of a hand made out of Carolina mica.
Fort Necessity in Pennsylvania (Photo by Hunner)
Crossing the Ohio River, I then spent a morning at Fort Necessity where a young George Washington suffered a defeat in the French and Indian War in 1754. I drove an hour or so and came to the Flight 93 National Monument where I relived that awful day in 2001. The rangers and volunteers at this memorial all commented on how they are reclaiming both the sites natural beauty as well as reconciling the horrendous events that changed our country.
Looking through a gate to the sacred place of the Flight 93 crash site (Photo by Hunner) 
Heading north from Flight 93, I stopped at another site of tragedy at the Johnstown NM where a flood in 1889 killed over 2,000 people. I spent a couple of days with my step-brother Barry, his wife Shelly and kids Meredith and James in southwestern New York where I visited a counterpart to the Wright brothers at the Glenn Curtiss Museum. There I heard an alternative narrative to aviation history. Barry and I also took a quick swing through the Corning Glass Museum where we saw intricately designed vials from several thousand years ago, glass sculptures from today, as well as how fiber optics work. That day ended with Shelly’s dad Bob proudly showing me the old railroad cars and replica of a steam engine that he has helped restore over the last forty years.
Bob in front of the replica of a steam locomotive (Photo by Hunner)
This two week segment of Driven by History ended with a visit to the Women’s Rights National Historical Park at Seneca Falls, New York where the Declaration of Sentiments was signed in 1849, the start of the fight to gain the right to vote for women.
The restored church where the Declaration of Sentiments was signed in 1849 (Photo by Hunner)
I have yet to find the time to drive to history, visit the essential historic places, and write them all up for my weekly blog. I will eventually get to these individual sites and do them justice, but since I visit five or six places a week and write up at most half that many, I am accumulating quite a backlog.

Being driven by history means that I am visiting as many sites as I can for the rest of this year. It means absorbing as much of our nation’s past at individual places before I pop behind the wheel of my truck and head to the next site. And it means assembling a somewhat fragmented narrative about our country on the fly, as I sped down the road, listening to the latest news about our fractured politics while interacting with normal people along the way. I am witnessing historic sites in a land of plenty, of fields ripe with crops, of commerce and community, of industrious people with full families enjoying the summer on the front porches of Anytown USA. I am experiencing the best of our country. I am a lucky guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment